You spoke, we listened! This premium RTL-SDR was designed, developed and fabricated by NooElec in the USA and Canada in order to implement a wide array of feature requests.
- The NESDR SMArt contains the same ultra-low phase noise 0.5PPM TCXO used in our much smaller Nano 2+ (TCXO specifications below), ensuring ultimate tuning stability in nearly any environment.
- In the quest for lower noise, the power supply section was redesigned to implement an RF-suitable voltage regulator with under 10 µVRMS of noise. That is at least 10x lower than other designs!
- A quality shielded inductor was used in the power supply to improve EMI rejection.
- The included aluminum enclosure ensures stray EMI stays where it belongs–away from the sensitive RF circuitry.
- Lower board-level temperatures further improves the SDR noise floor.
- A custom heatsink is affixed to the primary PCB with 3M thermal adhesive, to wick heat away from the circuit board and towards the enclosure.
- 2 pieces of silicone thermal pad spread the rest of the heat away from the device hot spots.
- Power consumption has been reduced by an average of 10mA, which means less heat is generated compared to other designs.
- The result is much lower board-level temperatures–increasing stability, improving sensitivity and ensuring maximum frequency range capability. The changes were first simulated, and then field-tested with a Flir E8.
Form factor improvements:
- The NESDR SMArt was designed to minimize annoying USB port occlusion. We re-designed the SDR from the ground up to ensure the SMArt can be used side by side in any USB-compliant device, including tightly-spaced embedded devices. There is no need to remove the enclosure to run multiple SDRs beside one another!
- The form factor re-design allowed us to move to the more universal SMA antenna input.
- The included antenna has been redesigned with a wider base to ensure physical stability with the included longer telescopic antenna mast
- A stronger magnet in the antenna base facilitates a wide range of mounting options
- Low-loss RG58 feed cable is used instead of higher-loss RG316 and RG174
- Feed cable increased to 2m (6.5′) for easier installations
- Male SMA connector on the antenna cable for easy connectivity to the NESDR SMArt and other SMA-input RF devices
- Three antenna masts are now included! A telescopic mast with a variable frequency capability, a fixed frequency 433MHz (ISM) antenna mast, and a fixed frequency UHF (GSM) antenna mast
- NESDR SMArt SDR w/ brushed aluminum enclosure
- Antenna base w/ 2m RG58 cable
- Telescopic antenna mast (variable frequency)
- 433MHz (ISM) antenna mast (fixed frequency)
- UHF antenna mast (fixed frequency)
- RTL2832U Demodulator/USB interface IC
- R820T2 tuner IC
- 0.5PPM, ultra-low phase noise TCXO
- RF-suitable voltage regulator
- Shielded primary inductor
- Integrated custom heatsink
- Female SMA antenna input
- High-quality black brushed aluminum enclosure
- Through-hole direct sampling pads on PCB
SDR TCXO Specifications:
- Frequency stability: 0.5PPM (max)
- Phase noise @1kHz offset: -138dBc/Hz (or better)
- Phase noise @10kHz: -150dBc/Hz (or better)
- Phase noise @100kHz: -152dBc/Hz (or better)
- Wide base with super-strong magnet within base for easy mounting
- Low-loss RG58 feed cable
- 2m (6.5′) cable, twice as long as most low cost SDR antennae
- Heatshrinked male SMA connector for direct connection to the SDR or our other SMA-connected accessories like the Ham It Up